Thinking of getting your lip filler done for the first time? A good aftercare routine is an important step to achieve the best results.
Lip fillers are dermal fillers that inject hyaluronic acid into your lips, giving them a plump and full appearance.
This minimally-invasive procedure only takes a few minutes to do, but the results of poutier lips from a filler can last for at least six months.
In this article, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide to make your lip injections stay plump and last longer!
But, before we start…
The effects of a lip filler can differ from one person to another. The tips we will be providing here are generalized.
If you have concerns about side effects, we suggest you consult your aesthetician or dermatologist for a more individualized aftercare recommendation.
What To Do Right After The Procedure
You can expect some swelling to happen immediately after an injection. The area where you receive an injection may also become red and bruised overnight.
Here are the best ways to subside the redness and inflammation:
- Apply ice to your lips using an ice pack or some ice cubes covered with a cloth. Ice the area for about 15 minutes only. Avoid icing directly without a cloth or icing for too long.
- Stay away from strenuous activities and exercises for at least the first 24 hours after treatment. Exerting effort and force during physical activities can elevate your blood pressure, causing you to swell more.
- Hydrate well. Drinking lots of water generally aids in the healing process.
- Keep yourself cool and avoid rooms with hot temperatures (e.g. saunas, steam rooms). High heat can make the swelling worse.
- Steer clear of high-sodium foods. Ditch the fast and processed foods. Having excess sodium in the body can increase swelling and inflammation.
- Slightly elevate your head while sleeping. This supports proper blood flow and reduces swelling on your lips.
General Dos and Don’ts When Having Lip Injections
In general, these are good do’s and don’ts to follow after having your treatment:
- Do eat foods that are easy to chew.
- Do use gentle products for your skin.
- Do bring one of your favorite lipsticks or lip liners to cover up bruising
- Don’t smoke or drink for the first 24 hours
- Don’t drink through a straw as this increases the pressure on your lips
- Don’t fly as the air pressure on a plane can increase swelling and bruising. If you can, schedule your treatment a few weeks before your trip.
Always Check With Your Aesthetician
Swelling, redness, and bruising are expected side effects that are normal to experience post-lip injections.
However, if you do encounter the following complications, it’s best to get it checked by your doctor or your local aestheticians to get the best advice.
A good aesthetician will be able to help you through your recovery process. They will be able to give you an individualized aftercare plan.
We hope this thorough guide will help you in your journey to getting lip fillers!
Have you had yours done recently? Share your experience in the comment section below!